SENSORIMOTOR PSYCHOTHERAPY WITH PAT OGDEN, PH.D.: BODY ORIENTED THERAPY TECHNIQUES FOR TRAUMA AND ATTACHMENT – PAT OGDEN
Discover How To Recalibrate Your Client’s Nervous System To Heal Trauma And Attachment Issues…Even If They Can’t Tolerate The Most Gradual Exposure or EMDR
When your clients experience trauma, the wake of intense emotions that gets left behind can be gut-wrenching for both you and your client to work through.
In many cases, you can read it in their body language before they even get through your door, and they feel the effects of that trauma in their bodies years later.
They might feel their palms sweating, their heart racing, or start looking for the exit without even realizing why…having these responses pop up unexpectedly any time a specific date on the calendar, a loud noise, or another person reminds them of their past.
The problem? Even if your clients are ready to process their story and their emotions in talk therapy, many times they keep feeling the effects of that trauma in their body after it’s been hardwired in the nervous system.
Plus, for some clients, simply thinking about processing the trauma with a therapist might be too intense for them to handle, making them shut down even after using relaxation and other coping techniques.
That’s why Dr. Pat Ogden, an originator in the field of somatic therapies, found early on in her career that often words alone weren’t enough (or caused too much distress) to produce the type of change her clients wanted desperately.
She stumbled on a powerful but underutilized resource while working at a hospital, leading groups in yoga and other forms of physical movement. Her colleagues initially doubted and even teased her for using the unconventional approach, but she started to find that her clients were getting better…and your clients can too.
Join internationally renowned psychotherapist and trauma expert Dr. Ogden for an innovative training on Sensorimotor Psychotherapy and gain new, easy-to-understand techniques and tons of user-friendly worksheets to use with your clients, helping you to…
- Treat your clients’ trauma with a more covert approach, so they can work through their past even if it’s too intense for them to talk about directly
- Uncover new information about their trauma and how that still affects them today, discovering thoughts and values your clients haven’t been able to put into words before
- Break the repetitive cycle of trauma responses that gets maintained through their posture, movement patterns, and automatic responses whenever they’re reminded of past trauma
What You’ll Learn in This Training with Dr. Ogden:
Module 1 :
The Wisdom of the Body – Using Experiments to Reveal Hidden Messages
- How to use “mindful experiments” with your clients to quickly shift their thoughts and feelings in the present moment
- The 4 words you should start all experiments with to get your clients to respond more mindfully
- Why “situationally accessible” memories give you valuable information you can’t normally get with talk therapy
- The 5 building blocks of experience – putting your clients’ experiences under a microscope to reveal their hidden thoughts, values, and memories
Module 2 :
The Legacy of Trauma – Recalibrating the Nervous System after Trauma
- The subtle way your body remembers and relives traumatic events over time, leading to (and disguising itself as) a myriad of other symptoms
- How to help your clients take empowering actions that will effectively heal their traumatic memories
- Why you should focus on treating the effects of traumatic memories in the present…instead of focusing on the content of those memories itself
- How to execute actions in the session that help your clients build hope and regulate their emotions whenever they need – and how to identify what actions they really need in that moment
Module 3 :
The Legacy of Attachment – Using Movement to Improve Connection
- The surprising connection between attachment and posture – and how your posture affects your thoughts, emotions, relationships, and self-image
- The astonishing amount you can learn about your client’s past and attachment style…just by telling them to reach out their hands
- The most effective ways to talk with your clients about movement, posture, and the body – dramatically increasing your chances or getting their buy-in and building rapport
Module 4 :
Body to Body Conversation – Translating Body Language in Relationships
- The real problem why most couples actually come into therapy – and how you can work with them to resolve it
- What others can tell about you (and your past) just by seeing the way you walk
- How to use simple physical actions (like reaching) with couples to build a stronger connection in their relationship and establish healthier boundaries